LEXI GAME RULES / SCORING
TO WIN: At the beginning of the game, the players set a score (100, 200, 1000, or however long the players want to play) that whichever player reaches the predetermined score first, wins.
1. The dealer shuffles the deck. (Every player takes turns dealing.) The dealer gives each player 9 cards. Flip one card face up in the center, and place the unused deck face down next to the flipped card.
2. The player next to the dealer goes first. (The players decide which direction to play.) This player may pick up the open face card and add to cards in his hand to form a word. He must use the card he picked up to form a word and display the word in front of him for all to see. If the player does not wish to use the open card, he may pick a new card from the unused deck. He may lay down one or more words for his score. For a word or words to count toward his score, the player must display the word(s) in front of him for all to see; he may choose not to display any word(s). Any word not displayed will NOT count toward a player’s score at the end of the round (and game). This player must discard one card at the end of his turn. If a word is not displayed before his turn ends, the player may not lay down words while another player is playing his turn. Play moves to the next player.
3. The next player may pick up a card from the deck or use any card in the center of play that is opened/face up. If a player wants to pick up a card in the discarded/center pile, he must pick up all the cards from the card he wants up to the last discarded card into his hand. The card he wants must be used to form a word and placed in front of him. He may form more words from the cards in his hand and display them. This player must discard a card from his hand at the end of his turn. Then, play moves to the next player. Play continues around so all players may have a chance to pick a card either from the unused deck or from the opened card(s) to form word(s).
4. Every player must have played at least once before the round ends. A player may end the round only when it is his turn. To end the round, this player must draw from either the open card(s) or unused deck. He must use all the cards in his hand to spell word(s), except one. Then, he must discard one card from his hand. No words formed from a previous round may be altered. For example: If a player spelled “TAP,” and his turn ended. He may not change the word to “PAT” in subsequent turns.
5. Players may add prefixes and/or suffixes to words already played and displayed in a previous round. For example: If a player spelled “CAR” in a previous round, he picks up the letters “D”, “I”, “A”, and “C” in subsequent rounds, this player may add “DIAC” to “CAR” to form “CARDIAC.” Thus, when he only had 6 points with “CAR”, now he has 28 points with “CARDIAC.”
6. To add a prefix: If a player has spelled and displayed “VIEW” in a previous round, he picks up “P”, “R”, and “E” in subsequent rounds, this player may add “PRE” to “VIEW” to spell “PREVIEW.“ When he only had 10 points with “VIEW,” now he has 28 points by adding the extra letters to the existing word. If this player also has “ING” in his hand, he may also add that to “VIEW” to form “PREVIEWING”. NOW, instead of just 10 points for “VIEW,” he has 55 points. Although there may be “word(s)” in a player’s hand, if those words are not displayed openly in front of him when the round ends, those words do NOT count in his score. Count up the points [see SCORE card] used in words that each player displayed in front of him. One point shall be subtracted for each unused letter card in each player’s hand.
7. Another way the game may end is when all the cards had been played and discarded and no player spelled words with all the letter cards in his hand and discarding one card. When this happens, each player shall add up all the points for the words he has formed and laid out before him. Then, points shall be deducted for each card in a player’s hand not used to make words and displayed in front of that player. One point shall be deducted for each unused letter card in a player’s hand.
* Select a dictionary to use as reference before each game.
The Points awarded per word is as follows:
1 letter word = 1 point
2 letter word = 1 + 2 = 3 points
3 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 = 6 points
4 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10 points
5 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15 points
6 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 = 21 points
7 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 = 28 points
8 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 = 36 points
9 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 = 45 points
10 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 = 55 points
11 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 = 66 points
12 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 = 78 points
13 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 = 91 points
14 letter word = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 +14 = 105 points
15 letter word = 105 + 15 = 120 points
16 letter words = 120 +16 points = 136 points, etc.